*This blog is part of I Blog Naked, a blogging movement that requires you to write a post in the nude. It’s lot’s of fun and you get this snazzy badge for your blog if you try it! To learn more and join the Naked Blogging Revolution click HERE! And yes, I am blogging naked right now!*
It’s a fact that the way we view and perceive our own body, genitalia and sexuality has a huge effect on our overall happiness, contentment as well as our mental and physical health. It is also a fact that there are a whole lot of powerful body and sexuality negative messages out there in the world. Everything from the world of fashion, mass media and advertising to a number of political and religious groups help to perpetuate our shame, guilt, fear and hatred of our natural body, and it’s totally, normal, healthy and natural needs and functions, including sexuality. Ironically even a lot of pornography is harmful to the way we perceive our bodies, genitalia and what is “normal” when it comes to sex and sexuality. And this is coming from a fan of nude and erotic photography!
The reasons behind the centuries old war on the body and sexuality are many and varied, I’m not going to delve into that today. But no one can deny that sexual repression and body and genital shame has been a big part of human history. How did something so normal, natural and necessary to our functions as humans, become so distorted, manipulated and messed up? Sex and sexuality is about as normal, interesting and even banal as eating, excreting, laughing, playing. And it’s about as important to our overall health!
So with that in mind how do we go about forming healthier, more sex positive attitudes, beliefs and behaviors? This is the subject that will be thoroughly explored in my upcoming book Sex! Not As A Separate Subject: A Guide to Great Sex with Great People (shameless plug), but for now let’s take a look at just one way to foster a more loving attitude to our awesome bodies and sexuality. It is called The Deer Exercise. This exercise in an ancient Taoist Qi Gong practice for the increase of sexual virility and overall health for both men and women. Yes I’ve used it, sometimes more actively that others, and so have a number of people I know. We can all attest to it’s pretty powerful effects :)
So let’s first of all take a look at the huge list of benefits that can come from practicing the Deer Exercise. First of all the benefits to women:
- Increased breast blood circulation, reduces risk of breast cancer and cysts.
- Releases the hormones oxytocin, DHEA, and more, and increases neural development and blood and lymphatic circulation.
- Can increase both fullness and bouyancy of the bust by strengthening suspensory ligaments and muscles while increasing blood and lymphatic movement in the breasts.
- Tones and strengthens the vaginal muscles and the ligaments supporting the ovaries and fallopian tubes, increases fertility, and and increases pelvic bloodflow and relaxed sensitivity.
- The female deer exercise spreads sexual pleasure and energy throughout the body, increasing the potential for clitoral, vaginal, and whole-body orgasm.
- By regulating female hormones and increasing bloodflow, they also help to prevent or cure PMS, irregular menstruation, anemia, sterility, ovarian cysts, vaginal discharge, fibroids, incontinence, and more.
- Along with increasing sexual health, enjoyment, mental clarity, and overall vitality, the exercise increases fertility, so appropriate precautions should be taken to prevent an unplanned pregnancy!
- Reduces risk of premature ejaculation, de-sensitizing the glans while increasing blood-flow and sensitivity in the rest of the penis and pelvis.
- Increases testicular blood-flow and sperm production.
- This in turn increases blood and lymphatic circulation, releases beneficial hormones including DHEA, and increases neural development.
- It can increase both fullness and bouyancy of the erection by strengthening suspensory ligaments and muscles while increasing blood and lymphatic movement in the penis.
- It also draws energy from the seminal fluid upward to the spine and brain, and manipulates the vagus nerve, increasing the potential for whole-body orgasm.
- It reduces incidence of prostate disease.
- Gives greater sexual control, endurance, and sensitivity.
- Along with increasing sexual health, enjoyment, mental clarity, and overall vitality, the exercise increases male fertility and virility. Appropriate precautions should always be taken to prevent an unplanned pregnancy, and the possible transmission of venereal disease!
So how on Earth do we do this amazing exercise?! Well obviously it’s different for both men and women so let’s take a look at the female version first:
Step 1: Get naked! Or stay naked if you’re already stripped off after a nice shower or after waking in the morning. Not only is it necessary for the exercise to be nude, but it’s also a great opportunity to look at yourself with loving eyes and practice your bodily and sexual self love and acceptance. This exercise can be done in front of a mirror if you would like to increase the potency of your self love. During the exercise you can repeat the words “I love and accept myself just as I am, where I am right now”. Make sure the room is warm and not drafty and remove all jewelry that could get in the way.
Step 2: Now sit on the floor, a cushion or other flat, but comfortable surface with one heel against the opening of the vagina, exerting a gentle pressure on the clitoris. The other foot rests next to the shin. If the posture is difficult (because of inflexible hips or knee pain), you may also use a small rubber ball between the heel and the vagina to provide this gentle acupressure.
Step 3: It’s time for the breast massage, yay! Warm your hands by rubbing them vigorously together. Now place them over the breasts. Lightly rub in upward and outward circles. The hands travel together up the inside of the breasts toward the face, then outwards, downwards, inwards, and upwards again. Lightly chafe the skin in circular motions with the nipples at the center of the circle. Do not hold the breasts and move them – skim the surface of the skin. Repeat this circular movement 36 times.
Step 4: First, rest your hands in your lap. Form your hands into fists by encircling your thumbs in the other fingers. This activates a number of important acupressure points. Next, tighten the muscles of the vagina as though contracting it. Keep breathing in a deep, relaxed manner while holding the contraction as long as you comfortably can. You only need to do this step once after each 36-rotation breast massage.
During the contraction, try to keep the anal sphincter and stomach muscles relaxed while squeezing and lifting only the vaginal muscles. (You can learn to isolate the muscles by feeling them contract against the pads of your fingers. Oh – smile and enjoy the experience while you contract your muscles! Feel the connection between the tingle in the pelvic floor, the tingle in your spine, and the tingle in your brain. enjoy it! If it’s hard for you to locate the muscles to contract and lift, just think of the muscles you use to stop urination in mid-stream, and contract!
And now for the guys:
Step 1: The same as the girls. Remove all clothing and jewelry, find a warm place to sit or lie down. This exercise can be done in bed in the morning or at night if you like.
Step 2: Warm your hands by rubbing them vigorously together. Now cup the right hand around the testicles, holding them gently and warming the scrotum. The thumb of the right hand should rest on top of the base of the penis shaft, right next to the abdomen. Now place your left palm on your abdomen, 4 finger widths below your navel. Circle the palm around this point, below the navel but above the base of the penis, 81 times, gently chafing the skin. Next, switch hands and repeat. The circular massage will be turning in the opposite direction. The direction does not matter, as long as each hand goes a different way, so that both clockwise and counterclockwise are covered.
Step 3: This part is called “Holding Firm”. First, rest your hands in your lap. Form your hands into fists by encircling your thumbs in the other fingers. This activates a number of important acupressure points. Next, while breathing deeply and comfortably in and out, contract and lift the perineum – the muscles between the base of the scrotum and the anus. Keep breathing in a deep, relaxed manner while holding the contraction as long as you comfortably can, usually about a minute. You only need to do this step once. During the contraction, try to keep the anal sphincter and stomach muscles relaxed while squeezing and lifting only the perineal muscles.
And there you have it! There’s absolutely no doubt that having a healthy, loving and positive relationship with our body and our own sexuality do wonders for our overall mental and physical health and well-being. Give the exercises a go each day for at least 30 days and feel the difference :)
Thanks for reading! All the best ;)
- Simple Pleasures
- How Do I Love Myself?
- Letting Go
- Spreading The Love
- Your Thoughts Create Your Future
Rohan Healy is the author of “Greeks to Geeks: Practical Stoicism in the 21st Century”, “The 7 Things That Made Me Genuinely & Irreversibly Happy: And How They Can Do The Same For You” and Sci Fi Action/Adventure novel Gyaros: The Mice Eat Iron!
Click the book titles to visit their Amazon pages, read the reviews, and sample or purchase the books.
Oh and a big thanks to Miss Four Eyes for coming up with my new title and making this super snazzy plaque for me! Haha, I love it :)